My Diwali loot!
Diwali is here!!
Tomorrow is Diwali, the Hindu festival of light. It is the festival that signifies the victory of good over evil by the Hindu God Rama. To celebrate the end of darkness small lamps called the Diyas are lit in every Hindu household and then firecrackers are burst as a part of the festivities. Typically Diwali is a five day festival, but Laxmi (Goddess of wealth) Pooja is the actual day of Diwali. The day is considered very auspicious!
A typical day in our house on a Diwali day
- Wake up early, get the blessing of all elders in the family, bathe and wear new clothes.
- Enjoy the “n” number of sweets made by Mom.
- Visit relatives through out the day…and eat, eat and eat!
- Make Rangoli at the entrance of the house. Rangoli is made with powdered colors and/or fresh flower petals.
- Do Puja ( Prayers at home) followed by eating and then lighting the house with the Diyas and then go nuts with the firecrackers.
- Back home famishes after all the activities followed by more eating.
- Finally opening presents.
All said we won’t be celebrating Diwali this year as my husbands Grandpa passed away a few days back. That means no extensive decorations, rangoli and no making sweets 😦
But who said I won’t be eating sweets and the savory items that are a part of Diwali. This morning I received a 30lb package from my sweet Mama.
She made all the sweets and snacks and sent it to me along with some cute tops for me and some for the husband!!!
Here’s my loot!!
Table placemats I love them!
A galore of snacks, the ones on the top made by her at home and the ones on the bottom are some of the store bought items loved by the husband and I.
And nothing is complete without sweets, some homemade Besan ladoo ( i.e. chickpea flour roasted in Ghee and then sweetened and rolled into balls!
and some chocolate love in the form of Cadburys!
I am off to store the stuff properly and savor a few of the stuff!!
Good night and a Happy Diwali to all of y’all, hope this day brings a lot of happiness and prosperity in all your lives!!