Dahiwale Aloo (Potatoes in a tangy yogurt sauce)
Good evening folks!
We are over the hump, hooray, that only means one thing the weekend is getting closer.
Tonight I am sharing a recipe with ya, an Indian curry to be precise. Last night I made dahiwale aloo (aloo= potato and dahi= yogurt) i.e. Potatoes in a tangy yogurt sauce.
- 1 huge potato or 3 medium potatoes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup yogurt, diluted with 1/4 cup water and mixed to form a smooth mixture
- Salt to taste
- cilantro for garnishing or not if you are a hater 🙂
- Heat 1T canola oil in a skillet and add the cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle add the onion, ginger and garlic. Cook till the onions turn translucent.
- Next add the potatoes and add a bit of salt. Let the potatoes cook till they become soft, this may take about 8-9 minutes.
- Follow it up with tomatoes and the spices. Cook for 2-3 minutes, till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Lastly we want to add the yogurt and salt, remove the skillet from the heat source and let it cool for a minute. If you add the yogurt when the mixture is still hot, the yogurt will curdle and the end product is not what you want. So once it is slightly cooled down, add the yogurt mixture and then heat it on the lowest flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Season and garnish with cilantro!
Wake up early challenge: I set my 15 minutes earlier then yesterday i.e. 6:30 and woke up without a fuss. To prevent any early morning convincing to sleep in, I wrote down in big bold letters the tasks I had to do immediately on waking and that gave me some energy. Visual motivation is the way to go 🙂
Dinner tonight: I borrowed this idea from Erica. I had a couple of Tostitos dip creations (Samples sent as a part of the Foodbuzz program) waiting to be used. This burger idea was the perfect way to use the country ranch mix. I made a black eyed peas burger with the country ranch mix and some cheddar cheese and cooked them on a skillet. Topped the burger on a salad with hummus and sriracha.