Jamie inspired vegan pasta carbonara
Jamie Oliver is one of chefs I love, pray and really really hope I meet one day (others being Nigella, Anjum Anand and Giada). His style of cooking resonates with my style and in my ideal world, I would cook and garden just like him. If you have watched Jamie at home you know what I mean. Jamie at home’s library copy is always in my house and I look forward to getting the fresh ingredients to make his recipes. When I managed to snag the assorted squash loot last time from the farmers market, this recipe was on my mind. The only problem, carbonara is made of yolks and you know I hate them. So I decided to go vegan and make my own carbonara sauce.
Vegan Pasta Carbonara
- 8 oz penne
- 2 cups assorted squashes cut at an angle.
- 1 cup button mushroom sliced
- fresh or dried thyme
- 1 cup regular almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- sat and pepper
- Cook penne as per instruction till al dente and reserve the pasta water.
- Heat EVOO in a skillet and add the mushrooms, with some thyme (fresh is best).
- Next add the squashes and give it about a 2-3 minutes to cook but still have a bite.
- Make the sauce on the side, heat the almond milk, nutritional yeast and the cornflour mixture to form a thick sauce like consistency.
- Finally add the cooked penne and toss everything together. The sauce should stick to the pasta, so you can add the reserved pasta water to loosen it up a bit.
- Serve and enjoy.